Landlord Gas Safety Certificates
Make Sure that you comply with you statutory gas safety obligations.
A landlord must prove the gas boilers in their properties are working safely by having a current gas safety certificate (Health and Safety Executive Gas Safety Information). As a landlord, you are responsible for the safety of your tenants in accommodation including:
- residential premises provided for rent by local authorities, housing associations, private sector landlords, housing co-operatives, hostels
- rooms let in bed-sit lets, private households, bed and breakfast accommodation and hotels
- rented holiday lets such as chalets, cottages, flats, caravans and narrow boats on inland waterways.
The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 deal with landlords’ duties to make sure gas appliances, fittings and flues provided for tenants are safe.
Landlord’s safety responsibilities
If you let a property equipped with gas appliances you have three main responsibilities:
- Maintenance: pipework, appliances and flues must be maintained in a safe condition. Gas appliances should be serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. If these are not available it is recommended that they are serviced annually unless advised otherwise by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
- Gas safety checks: a 12 monthly check must be carried out on every gas appliance/flue. This will make sure gas fittings and appliances are safe to use.
- A record of the annual gas safety check must be given to your tenant within 28 days of the check or to new tenants before they move in. Landlords must keep copies of the gas safety record for two years.
A gas safety certificate can only be issued by a Gas Safe registered engineer. With over 20 years of experience AM Bathing Solutions provides a complete safety service, including gas safety certificates, to landlords in Lancaster, Morecambe, Heysham and surrounding areas.
Why should I service my tenant’s Gas Boiler and other appliances?
We recommend that you service your gas boiler for three main reasons:
1. Avoiding a breakdown and giving it a longer lifespan
Why do boilers always seem to break down in winter? Think of you boiler in the same way as a car, manufacturers provide a recommended process for servicing a motor vehicle and so does your boiler manufacturer. Without proper maintenance, your boiler will not operate at best performance and may not be as efficient as it could be. By having your boiler correctly serviced it will be fully inspected and any required maintenance work can be carried out proactively, maximising the lifespan of your boiler and enabling you to operate a more efficient appliance
2. Maintaining boiler efficiency
When it comes to saving money, getting your boiler serviced regularly can help as it can potentially lower your heating bills by maintaining maximum boiler efficiency. This is because a service will clean up any deposits that have built up in the boiler. Simple things such as keeping the internal combustion area is clean and free of any debris will improve the heat transfer, allow the boiler to light more easily and burn efficiently.
3. Keeping it (and your tenants) safe
A well maintained boiler and gas fire will not only run more efficiently, but also be safer. It is your legal responsibility to do this. You must also ensure you use a Gas Safe registered engineer to carry out your servicing to ensure it done safely and legally.
Things we check when we service a gas boiler:
- Inspect your boiler and controls to make sure they operate safely.
- Fire up the boiler and inspect to find any working faults.
- The inspection includes checking your boiler for corrosion and leaks.
- Your boiler casing will be removed to check the functioning of its main components – burner, heat exchanger, main injector, spark/sensor probe.
- A gas pressure check ensures your boiler is operating at the correct gas pressure.
- A flue test ensures this is not obstructed and the flue components are sealed correctly, making sure no unsafe emissions are being released from your boiler.
- The gas valve will be adjusted to check the burner is combusting efficiently and correctly.
- A gas tightness test will be conducted to ensure there are no leaks.
- Your boiler’s parts are cleaned as required.
- Your boiler’s casing will be put back on and properly sealed.
Gas safe registered
We are Gas-Safe registered. Giveing you peace on mind that our work is legally compliant and, importantly, SAFE.
We pride ourselves on our professional, friendly service, offering the best advice for your plumbing and gas problems.
Best Prices Around
You pay only for the work we do for you. and the cost of parts. No added big company adminstration overheads.
Our Gas, Heating and Plumbing Services
pLeaks, Problem taps etc. in kitchens, bathrooms and around the house. Replacing or moving radiators, Replacement thermostatic valves.
gas fitting and appliance installs
Central Heating and Boiler Replacement, repair and service Specialist. Gas fire servcing and installation. Landlord gas safety certificates.
Toilet, bath and basin replacment. Full upgrades. Special needs and accessible walk-in Showers, Baths, Low level access, motorised seats, etc.
Your #1 Boiler replacement and central heating Specialist
Trustworthy service, honest advice, high quality work and affordable prices. We are a member of the Lancashire County Council Safe Trader Scheme and our customers rate us as a five star service due to our friendly approach and excellent value for money.
We provide free estimates and honest advice for any job, large or small.
Make An Appointment
Or Get a Free Quote