Landlord Gas Safety Certificate

A landlord must prove the gas boilers in their properties are working safely by having a current gas safety certificate (Health and Safety Executive Gas Safety Information)

As a landlord, you are responsible for the safety of your tenants in accommodation including:

  • residential premises provided for rent by local authorities, housing associations, private sector landlords, housing co-operatives, hostels
  • rooms let in bed-sit lets, private households, bed and breakfast accommodation and hotels
  • rented holiday lets such as chalets, cottages, flats, caravans and narrow boats on inland waterways.

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 deal with landlords’ duties to make sure gas appliances, fittings and flues provided for tenants are safe.

Landlord’s responsibilities

If you let a property equipped with gas appliances you have three main responsibilities:

  • Maintenance: pipework, appliances and flues must be maintained in a safe condition. Gas appliances should be serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. If these are not available it is recommended that they are serviced annually unless advised otherwise by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
  • Gas safety checks: a 12 monthly check must be carried out on every gas appliance/flue.  This will make sure gas fittings and appliances are safe to use.
  • A record of the annual gas safety check must be given to your tenant within 28 days of the check or to new tenants before they move in. Landlords must keep copies of the gas safety record for two years.

A gas safety certificate can only be issued by a Gas Safe registered engineer. With over 20 years of experience AM Bathing Solutions provides a complete safety service, including gas safety certificates, to landlords in Lancaster, Morecambe, Heysham and surrounding areas.